Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Joan's Weekly Challenge


It is time for another challenge at Joan's Gardens.  This week we want you to create a card that shows a winter activity; such as building a snowman, skiing, ice skating, etc. 

 When the country side is covered with snow, I always think about going for a sleigh ride.  I just love getting all bundled up and being pulled along in the snow to see the gorgeous snow covered trees and mountains, then getting back for a nice cup of hot chocolate. Please go over to Joan's Gardens to get all the details about this week's challenge.

The background for my card is the JustRite "Christmas Holly background".  The holly and berries were colored with Distress Markers.  The center of the frame was sponged with "Scattered Straw" Distress Ink.  The area around the frame was sponged with "Tea Dye" Distress Ink then the edges around it sponged with "Aged Mahogany" Distress Ink.  It was cut out with a narrow border around it.  This is a 5.5"x6" card.  The frame is not that wide so I stamped one of the borders from the JustRite "Classic Lace Edges" stamp set on the edge of the base card.  It was also stamped in black and clear embossed.  This was also sponged with the Distress Inks. The Christmas Holly background was attached to the left side of the card.  

For the sentiment I used one of the stamps from the Paintbox Poppets "Snowy Pine Landscape" stamp set.  The image over the frame is a stamp from the Paintbox Poppets "Sleigh Ride" stamp set.  It was black embossed and colored with Distress Markers, then cut out.  When I placed the "Sleigh Ride" image over the edge of the frame I felt like the background was too plain.  I thought I would show you the difference it made to stamp the trees behind the children and horse.  The stamp I used is the Memory Box "Snowy Pine Landscape".  Below you can see what a difference adding the addition of the trees made.  Maybe when you create a card and you feel something is not just right, you can add another stamped image.  The stamp was a little longer than the center of the frame, so I placed Post-It notes on each side, so the trees would only stamp in the center of the frame.    


I hope your will  join us in our challenge this week. I'm looking forward to seeing your creative cards showing some type of winter activity.

All the products used on this card can be purchased from Joan's Gardens:
Paintbox Poppets "Sleigh Ride" stamp set
Paintbox Poppets "Winter Pastime"
Memory Box "Snowy Pine Landscape" stamp
JustRite "Christmas Holly Background Stamp" (CL03800)
JustRite "Classic Lace Edges" stamp set
Distress Inks:  Tea Dye, Scattered Straw, Aged Mahogany
Distress Markers 

773262

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely card Selma, you are so right the trees totally make a difference. I always do that with a card, I go in and out of my craft room and can't tell you how many times I have changed a card, due to the fact "Something is missing", beautifully done!!
hugs
Donna

HappyCrafter said...

Wow, this is absolutely stunning!

Sheila - Ginger said...

Another wonderful card Selma! Oh I do look forward to getting an email to let me know you have made such another of your fabulous creations.

Love Sheila xx

Glenda said...

This is so gorgeous. You are so right, the trees do add so much to this card! So many wonderful products to play with too.

newfiecrafter(Marilyn) said...

Gorgeous card , you are right stamping the trees sure completes the card .

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, I absolutely love this gorgeous card. The stamp is such a wonderful back ground and the trees are a perfect addition. Great job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails