Thursday, December 29, 2011

Feminine Window Card


Yesterday I showed you how I designed a masculine card using one of the new window dies you can now order from Joan's Gardens, and today I have used the same die to create a feminine card with the same window.  This is a 5.5" square card.  I started off by placing the front of the card, along with another piece of card stock the same size, down on the cutting mat of the die cut machine.  They were taped so they would not move.  Next I taped the Joy Stamps "Grand Madison Window" (815) down on the left side and ran it through my Grand Calibur.  The reason I added an extra piece of card stock is because I wanted to emboss the front panel and did not want that embossing to show through on the inside of the card.  This also lined the two windows up perfectly.  The embossing folder I used was the Cuttlebug "Victoria" embossing folder.  One of the die cut windows was placed in the "hole" of the embossed panel and taped in place, on the back side, so it would stay there.  The second die cut window was attached over it with dimensional tape to give the window some dimension.  

I wanted to use a pretty new stamp Joan sent me called "Words Like Flowers" (4181K) by Penny Black to show through the die cut window.  It is such a pretty stamp.  I stamped the Penny Black image on  a larger piece of card stock than my card.  The reason I did that was so I could place the stamped design under the window and place it just the way I wanted it to show through the window.  It was trimmed down then to fit inside the card.  The flowers and leaves on the stamped image were colored using Copic markers.  Here is a picture of the inside of the card.


Now back to the front of the card -  I wanted to try and duplicate the flowers in the stamped image.  I used the new Cheery Lynn "Miniature Rose" (B152); "Medium Rose" (B154); and "Large Rose" (B155) dies for the flowers.  I don't know if you have all three of these dies but they are so perfect for creating different size flowers.  You can use just a few layers or up to 6 layers that are cut from just one die.  You also get the leaves that go under the flower in these dies.  They are super easy to put together to create an open type flower like I created here, or you can create beautiful roses with them too.  To duplicate the stamens in the die cut flowers like the ones in the stamped image, I used the small "Sparkle" punch, also available from Joan's Gardens.  The beautiful leaves were die cut using the Poppy Stamps "Meadow Leaf" (806) and "Gentle Leaf (807) dies.  These dies cut really are easy to use because they all just pop right out of the die.  

I know these window dies are really popular right now and I hope I have given you a few ideas to help you create your cards.  Using dies to create your cards is such a fun way to add texture and give your cards that "wow" factor. I really love using them by themselves or in combination with stamped images.

As I have said before, you can get all the products I use from Joan's Gardens.  Shipping will begin again on January 2nd but Joan is still taking orders over this holiday break.  By the way, don't forget to mark your calendars for the big sale next Wednesday at Joan's Gardens.  You can go to her blog to read all the details.

383968

19 comments:

craftieodmae said...

so far I have loved everything I've seen with this window, this one is absolutley gorgeous!!

Rhonda Miller said...

What a pretty card.

Antonella said...

what a beautiful card! I love the window dies :-)
Hugs, antonella :-)

Colleen said...

Selma,
I just received my window dies before Christmas and haven't had time to work with them yet. I can't wait. This card is gorgeous and the masculine one is just as nice.

CraftinGranny said...

Okay, I give up, I'm going to go order the window......LOL This is totally gorgeous!!! "Hugs"

The Other Patti Sue said...

I'm speechless.... GORGEOUS!

Betty Benton said...

Masculine or feminine, you made both card look absolutely stunning!

Inkypinkydelights said...

WOW I love this!!!!!! Judy x

Glenda said...

Your window cards are outstanding! Another beautiful creation!

Elly said...

Hi Selma,

Love your windowcard. It's gorgeous!!

Wishing you all the best for 2012!

hugs, Elly

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, this is gorgeous! You did a great job with it and I love it?

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Nan G said...

Stunning! Beyond words gorgeous! Guess I'll go order this window die too!

Donna said...

Beautiful card, Selma. Love the window and the gorgeous flowers. Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Darlene said...

Holy Cow Selma ... HOW DO YOU DO IT?? Every card is more wondrous than the one before! I would have to put this one in my "All Time Favorites" folder! WOW ... just gorgeous!
Happy New Year!

Caroline D. said...

This is super gorgeous!! Love the look the window creates!

Francie (Montreal) said...

You are doing such lovely and clever things with this window. It's fabulous.

Winnie and Patty said...

Selma--this is such a lovely card!!! Anyone would be happy to recieve it! Great job. Happy New Year!!!! TFS--Patty

nwilliams6 said...

Selma,this is awesome - your flowers are so pretty!

Carole said...

Absolutely beautiful Selma, I too love the window dies. Wishing you the very best of "all" things in the coming year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails