Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Joan's Gardens Challenge - A Decorated Bag Mini Tutorial


It's time for another new challenge at Joan's Gardens.  This week we want you to create a FALL or Trick or Treat BAG with a topper. You can get all the details from Joan's Blog.


  
I decided to create a Trick or Treat bag using a lot of different products from Joan's Gardens.  I decorated a kraft bag with handles and have a mini tutorial below to show you how I created the topper.

The design paper on the bag is from the Graphic 45 "Halloween in Wonderland"
8 x 8" paper pad. 

To create the "topper", I used Kraft card stock.  First I decided how deep I wanted the topper, then doubled it, and scored across the middle and creased it will with a bone folder.  Using scissors I cut a small opening along the fold line that was just a little longer than the width of the handles.  I wanted to create a design on the front edge, so used the Cheery Lynn "Tiffany Border" (B137) die.  I taped it to the edge of the topper then die cut it.


After it was die cut, it cut the border out along the edge leaving an opening along the bottom edge.  I wanted to add the border back over the opening, plus wanted a color behind it.  

A strip of card stock was added it to the back of the topper over the die cut opening.

 When I added the die cut back into the opening, I placed it slightly higher so it left some of the color below the scalloped edge. The die cut was glued along the very top edge, to the edge on the topper.  A piece of the stripped design paper was added right above the die cut edge to give it a finished look.  I used grungeboard letters from Tim Holtz Idea-ology Mixed Minis alphabet for the "Trick or Treat" letters.  Distress Ink Stain Daubers were used to color the letters, to match the colors in the design paper.  I love how they turned out.


To decorate the top edge of the topper, I used the Sizzix "Autumn Gatherings" (657454) die, which has branches, acorns and different small leaves.  These were all arranged across the top.  All these dies are pictured on my last post.

For the Jack-o-Lantern I used the Sizzix "Pumpkin Jack" (657463) die.  This is the way it looked when cut.


I wanted to give the surface a texture so used the Wendy Vecchi "Funky Flower Art" stamp set.  In this set is a large background stamp that I clear embossed over the pumpkin.  The Jack-o-Lantern face was cut free hand from black card stock and glued to the pumpkin.


The pumpkin die includes the stem.  I die cut it using green card stock then embossed it with the Cuttlebug "Distressed Stripes" embossing folder.  To complete this bag, I die cut a lot of leaves using the Cheery Lynn Leaves dies (D133, D134, D135, and D136).  I used a variety of leaves from each of these sets.  The large acorn on the bottom is from the Sizzix Mini Acorn & Pumpkin Set (657457).  The handles of the topper were pushed up through the opening that was cut in the center of the topper to complete my Trick or Treat bag.

All the products used on this project can be purchased from Joan's Gardens.  Please go over to Joan's Blog to get all the details about this week's challenge. 

327550

10 comments:

Betty Benton said...

loving your trick or treat bag! Especially that topper -- you did excellent work that border and all those leaves.

Gail said...

what a beautiful treat bag!!..as always i love admiring your art..tfs..loves ya

Unknown said...

what a cute trick bag
like very much what you did on your bag

The Other Patti Sue said...

This is just as cute as can be (0=

Glenda said...

Just such a pretty bag for trick or treat! Loving all those leaves!

Joan Fricker said...

Selma, your bag is just adorable. Great job using Sizzix Autumn die too on the top. I love everything about this bag.

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

Mrs. Swandog said...

Selma this bag is awesome...love the dies you used...you are so creative!

Donna said...

What a lovely change from tissue paper sticking out of the top! I wish I could play along with this one but I am leaving on a jet plane for Austria today and won;t be back for 2 weeks. I will bookmark this one and try it when I return. Thanks for the tutorial.

Sherry Kushibab said...

What an adorable bag....love that border and of course those fall halloween colors are great. Cute, Cute, Cute.

Mary G. said...

Gorgeous, Selma!! I love the slight vintage feel to this! Thanks for the tutorial!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails